Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mojo and George

Truth be told, I wasn't quite sure whether I should post this entry, either here or on another blog. It's not that I am not interested in the topic; rather, I don't know too many others who would be.

See, a coworker of mine recently asked me a question. He heard a song playing from my iPod, and he asked simply, "Is that George Thorogood?" No, my friend. Not George. Mojo!

Mojo, as in Mojo Nixon. I've been a huge fan of his work ever since I first saw the video for "Elvis is Everywhere," which still ranks as his biggest hit. For the uninitiated, Mojo's sound is actually not all that dissimilar to the musical sounds of George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers, once you control for lyrics and the odd Skid Roper melody. The two singers even look somewhat similar, as evidenced by the pics below:

<span class= http://www.bmi.com/news/200205/images/pop12.jpg

So, I thought it would be interesting to post a blog entry with the two singers side-by-side, just to show how they do look like each other. When searching for images, of course, Google offers the fantastic ability to enter a search query and then switch between 'web,' 'images,' 'news,' 'maps,' and 'video.' To get the pics of the two singers, I simply searched on the names in any Google search window, then selected 'images,' and then picked two pictures that would look as much alike as possible.

Normally, when I enter a search on a specific person's name, I like to put that name in quotation marks. That means I get results that only return what is inside the quotation marks, a neat trick that would keep me (in this case) from getting any hits related to our nation's 37th President.

One thing I learned right away that I didn't know about Mojo before I did this search was his real name. Thank you, Wikipedia! I also had no idea people could categorize Mojo's music in any one genre, but they did. Somehow, I feel like much less of a Mojo fan for simply not knowing either of those details. And I absolutely LOVE the Johnny Cash song from which the punkers in The Cramps lifted the term 'psychobilly!' Johnny Cash did a ton of great music, but "One Piece at a Time" has to be one of my all-time favorite songs of his. It always brings a smile when I hear it!

In the end, I knew I had to post this entry if for no other reason than to spread the word on Psychobilly music. Long live Mojo! I do have to say that my brother, sister, and I went to see Mojo perform live one Christmas break at some dive in Dayton, OH. We almost wound up not going to the show, as it was late and we were all somewhat past our youthful clubbing days. Having seen Mojo perform live, I can say there is nothing else quite like it! My favorite performers are all ones who pour every last ounce of their passion and energy into a live performance, and Mojo did that in spades! He must have lost about 20 lbs in sweat that night. But boy, did he put on a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment